We had a lovely afternoon baking with familiar faces and new ones. The children enjoyed baking the Wilderness Mini-beast Muffins and decorating them afterwards. For those of you that did not make it today please find below the recipe we used.
Our baking afternoon was featured on BBC Wiltshire Radio’s Cake of the Week which is included in Sue Davies afternoon show at 2.30pm. Although Claire Kennedy, Chair Acorns Pre-school, forgot to list the ingredients on the show (quite a significant ommission if you were trying to follow the recipe!) she was able to briefly explain some of the educational benefits of baking for pre-school children. About 25 minutes in – http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00yjt4t. If you would like to find out more please call Paula Jenkins on 07816 280810.
Wilderness Mini-Beast Muffins
For the muffins: 150g butter, 125g sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 eggs, 100ml milk, 200g flour, 2 level tsp baking powder, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 bar milk chocolate, grated
For the decoration: Icing sugar Lemon juice Red food colouring Chocolate buttons Smarties
1. Grease a 12-hole muffin tin well and dust with flour, and preheat oven to 180⁰C/Gas 4
2. Beat the butter with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually stir in the sugar and vanilla and mix well. Stir in the eggs one by one, while stirring well after each egg. Then stir in the milk.
3. Mix flour, baking powder and cocoa, sieve and fold into the mixture with a rubber spatula or scraper. Finally fold in the chocolate.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes. Use a skewer to test if the muffins are done in the middle.
5. Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes in the tray, then carefully transfer them to a wire rack. Put two chocolate buttons in the still warm muffins for eyes, then cool completely.
6. Mix the icing sugar with lemon juice to a thick icing. Colour with a few drops of food colouring dependent on which Wilderness mini-beast you are creating and then decorate.